Nothing but faith



“Are you making any sense?” I said when I heard Nisha say that she is fasting since her dad was not feeling well at home. We had known each other from school and working in the same hospital for the past five years but not once I heard such a stupid statement from her.

“Being a doctor yourself don’t you feel that your words convey stupidity?” I asked when she refused when I insisted her to eat some. I never understood what was going on in her mind. Love does strange things to you and only you can understand but the world sees you only as a retard.

“Does your fasting help your dad in any case who is miles away from us?”  

She stayed silent for few minutes and told,

“We go to temple though we know that there isn’t God there but only a carved stone, don’t we? Faith is what that really matters.”

Her words though commendable didn’t impress me much.  I ate my lunch and went to my work.

                                                                        ******

While I was going home I stopped by a drug store. Exactly a year back there walked a young lad with his mom who had brain tumor in final stage. Along with few other doctors I checked her to inform him that next three months would be her last three months if proper medication was given. He was distorted and pleaded us to save her somehow without understanding that it was out of our hands.

Soon his sadness turned to anger and began to blast us before the security guards had to intervene. I had never forgotten him since then. While I was at the medic shop, he stood beside me and as soon as he saw me he held my hand. I thought maybe he was going to apologies for what he did but he told me to come with him.

I don’t know why the hell I followed him but I went. After a five minute walk in an abandoned road we went into a small house and I was shocked to see his mom sitting in the hallway. Even with proper medication I told him that she couldn’t live for more than three months but there she was sitting with a broad smile on her face.

“I never had the money to buy the medicines, thrice every day I just gave her a sugar pill which she believed as the medicine that doctors prescribed. Never had she doubted me and over the course of time she believed. Nobody is going to live here forever and maybe she will die tomorrow but all these days he smiled. Medication never made her smile but faith and love did.”

I couldn’t say a word after what the young lad spoke. My educational brain said that it’s impossible but my heart whispered everything is possible with faith and love. I walked out without uttering a word.

                                                                        *******

Next day with a big broad smile Nisha came towards me and told that her dad was fine now. My brain didn’t understand but my heart did. While I was leaving to home from the hospital; I stood by the entrance. All these years at work I never noticed since I felt that it was just a rock but now I realized that it’s not in the rock but it’s in our faith. I knelt down held my hands together and whispered a silent prayer.


Faith does strange things.


Comments

Popular Posts