Strangers once again



              
06th April 2009 12:00 am
              
              This new place was something that I couldn’t adjust with. It has been little over a week since I moved to college and this hostel sucks big time. Moving hundreds of miles apart from where your happiness is something I wasn’t able to deal with.
              
              There was a knock at the door and I wondered who the hell it would be at this time of the night. I opened and it was Nisha at the other end. I was kayoed by her sight; I wondered how she got into boy’s hostel at this time of the night.

  She didn’t speak a word; held my hand and asked me to close my eyes and mouth shut. Even if she hadn’t said that, I wouldn’t have spoken a single word, I was dumbstruck.
              
              I opened my eyes to the beautiful sight of my entire life. There were balloons hanging from the water tank and there were candles around. It was my birthday and I have never celebrated this way till now. I had hardly known Nisha and spoken only for a couple of times. We went to the cake and I made a silent wish before I could blow the candles; I wished Nisha to be my best friend forever.

             And in the years, my wish came true.


06th April 2016 5.30 pm
             
              It’s very hard to give up on someone you have held for some long. I try to be happy every second but I know I’m not. Every year she would be the first person to wish but people change. I wonder, whether to change the way I deal with things or to change the things I deal with. She tried calling me twice in the day around 10 but I couldn’t pick thought I wanted to speak. I felt less important. Distance began to increase after we left college.
             
              There was a call again few minutes back but I was least interested to talk. I still couldn’t forgive her for not calling me at the stroke of midnight. I got a text from her saying happy birthday and she was sorry that she couldn’t call me at 12 but I didn’t respond.
            
              I opened my facebook and there were few notifications of my friends who have posted their wishes on my profile. Somewhere between the notifications I saw,
            
            “Nisha celebrated her birthday 3 days back, you can wish her.”

Tears rolled down my eyes, every year we celebrated her birthday but I forget to even wish her and I was mad at her for not calling me at midnight but here I am sitting without even wishing her. She called me again but I did not attend not because I was angry at her but because I was angry at myself.

I was watching the sunset, the sun going down. With every inch the sun moved down, my heart sank too in disappointment. I could see the lights fading from the skies and friendship fading inside my heart too. Best friends for seven years and now with this guilt of mine, we both are going to be strangers once again.
            
            I tried to persuade myself hard but I always knew that the battle had already been lost. As we grow up we grow apart.

           I sent a text message “Thank you, belated birthday wishes.”




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts