black GREY white

            I got up from a power nap, it was still dark outside. I could hear few dogs barking in distance, maybe they were bordering their territory. The crickets were chirping and frog were ribbiting. I peeped through the window; it wasn’t raining but I could barely see the tree which was around 10 meters from the house even with all the street lights on. I switched off the fan and switched on the table lamp. I made the bed and looked into the mirror, I was growing dark circles, maybe I was deprived of sleep or maybe I was taking in a lot of cigarettes, to be honest I least cared of those; maybe that’s what age does- it makes you devoid of guise. I splashed water on to my face and parted the hair. I stepped down to kitchen and made myself tea along with a cigarette to keep myself warm. I opened my bedroom door- mom dad were sleeping. I stepped in and pulled up the blanket, the room was warm and cozy.

I wore a jacket on top of a t shirt to my jean and locked the door outside and drove off to Revathy’s house. Over the last two months, from the day she was affected with Covid I volunteered myself to look after her. She lived few blocks away from us and she lived all alone from the past three years. I had met her once in a store and she helped me getting the stuff that my mom wrote down while I was getting lost with the groceries. She was a warm person but a little talkaholic- which I liked. I would be all ears while she would be telling about her son - Rahul working in the US for a BIG MNC (I used the exact words as she described, she felt pride in those words). I used to enjoy the little things that she used to say- how her son used text her every single morning to let her know that he was with her. Every single Good morning and Good night texts. Every single photo that he used to send on his way to work, those tie color that he would struggle to get right every time to match his suit. It made her happy which in-turn made me happy.

As always she got up early and was waiting for me. I greeted her and made her warm milk. She had along with few sugar free cookies. I sat beneath her while she sat comfortably on her recliner chair. I cleaner her toes and legs with wet tissues while she began to explain the same old stories about her son. Every single day she would be felling the same euphoria while speaking about her son. She said that she worked really hard in his childhood and how she protected him from alcoholic and abusive father. She used to save every single penny that she would earn and save it for his son’s education. Her son was her only comfort and made her toil hard for a better future. She told stories to her son on how not be like his father and difference between what’s good and bad. She told me that his son loved fairy tales even when he was 16, it brought him the joy which was not there in reality then. She used to tell him stories to bed every single day.

                She had a hallway full of photos (Memories, which she called). Photos of her and her son in different parts of the US- Golden gate bridge San Francisco, New York Status of Liberty and the skyscrapers, Grand Canyon, various parks in New York city and few other places which I was not aware of. She proudly said that she had been to the US twice and had visited numerous places. She took by my hand towards her memory collection and began to explain the stories behind each photo, though I had listened to every single story, I felt good since she seemed happy and had that glitter in her eye every time she told, maybe she wanted someone to listen to them every time so that she could be all mouth. It took about 15 minutes every day from one corner of the hallway to the other. I would patient hold her hand while she sips every single drop of the milk that I made her along with a plate of cookies that I bring along.

                She proudly told that, even though her son had married a girl from US, he still looks after her, sends her enough money to run the house with all the maids and live a life king size. She displays all the electronic gadgets that her son had send her. She tells the prize tags of every gadget that she shows and feels proud that her son had given nothing but all the expensive stuff in the world. She tells proudly that her son earns $16,000 which is around 12 lakh dollar per month. She tells how her son has shifted to one of the tops MNC’s in the world and works from the 27th floor from where the entire New York city could be seen. She touches her son’s graduation photo and tells the exact words his son said, “You would not be needing to work anymore Mom, I would look after you and since dad gone, I would take up all the responsibility of you and this house.”. She had a tear in her eye and feels glad that her son took all the responsibility unlike other sons and daughters who loiter around with no hope in this generation. I open the door for the maid while she begins to sweep the house and dust the sofa’s and cupboards. I make her breakfast and a warm soup while she bathes herself.

                I sit beside her and feed her the soup and the breakfast. She kept swiping photos in her I-pad and felt nostalgic. I gave her the post breakfast tablets and kept the post lunch tablets on her table and kissed her on the forehead and waved a good-bye. She walked me through the door and waved a good bye. I shook and screamed my lung out through the car that I will be back at night and told her not to forget the post lunch tablets. She smiled and locked her way in. I drove back to my home.

                Dad and mom were up by the time I came back. I greeted them and gave them a warm hug. I stepped into my room along with my special warm tea made my mom and opened by laptop to be told by my team mates that there is a new sales manager on board. I switch to Teams for the day end closure meeting. A young man appeared on screen and introduced himself as Rahul and told that he was the new sales manager on board in our team. I introduce myself that I would be his Lead over the due course and completed the day’s sales pending proposals along with other delegates.

                After an hour, I closed my work and joined Mom and dad for the breakfast.



Comments

Popular Posts