The lighthouse tales

    “Good bye, I loved you, but we are not meant to be together.” She texted.

    “Stay, let’s sort this out.” I backspaced. 

    I sat alone thinking how my life could crumble right before my eyes and still I couldn’t do anything about it. The cool sea breeze hit me hard and the night was turning dark every single second. I was blind as a bat I didn’t see it coming, this separation was bitter to swallow. Those families who came to spent their evening at the beach were fast approaching to their cars and returning to their warm house and the children who were playing soccer had stopped a while back and they were idling their time pulling each other legs. I felt I was the only one distorted in the world without having anyone to live with.

    It has been two years since we have been close with each other. Everyone knew that we were in love and to be honest even we both knew that we fall head over heals with each other but we have never shown it to each other. Every one around us told that we were made for each other and we knew that too. I wanted to break the ice and propose her, I knew that she would not say a ‘No’ as reply but I wanted to make it official. She agreed to meet me at the lighthouse- our usual hang out spot for the last two years. There is something romantic about this place - the lighthouse, the cool sea breeze, the beautiful birds humming late in evening, the salty water touching our feet, those various snacks for our taste buds, elderly couple holding each others hands and walking making us believe that forever was infact true, children sweating it out playing with each other, we can find the 360 degrees of life, the horizon - where the earth and the sky meet up makes us believe that love is actually in the air.

    I was about to start by bike and I heard something shattered next to me. A glass vase broke into several pieces,I looked up it was from the 13th floor where an elderly couple lived. They were in their balustrade arguing, I couldn’t hear them but their action were evident that something was wrong between them. The elderly couple were the least spoken people in our community, they both often fought and this could be the 500th vase broken. I never batted an eye and drove to the light house.

    I held her hand close to my heart and said those words, she nodded, I could feel the entire world at my feet. We didn’t utter a word for the next few minutes, we both were in euphoria and we wanted to sink in to the present. Moments froze as we kept looking into each others eyes, We both spoke but never uttered a word, we both listened to each other without musing a word. We both knew that words just convey the meaning but emotions convey the whole picture. I dragged her close, her heart beat rose and I felt it. I asked her whether I could kiss, she smiled and looked around for a while and told that everyone were around us, but she never told a‘No’, I moved closed and gave a peck on her forehead, she hugged me tight.

    I held her hand and we watched the sun set. We both never shared a word for the entire evening, maybe we never had to, maybe that’s what love is all about, existing without a reason while we keep running in search of one instead of just accepting it and living with it till the last. I whispered “I love you”, she smiled and rested her head on my shoulder. We were in love !!

    The evening breeze was not the same anymore, the waves never seemed beautiful , the birds humming was a pain to my ear. Everything changed, what once felt beautiful turned vexatious. I could barely see anything, my eyes were filled with tears. I felt someone placed a hand on my shoulder, I turned back. It was the old man - the couple that always fought. He nodded his head and said that everything will be fine. The didn’t wait for me to say anything, he said what he had to and began to walk away. He was carrying a new glass vase with him.

    I began to understand everything now, we all speak of the broken glass vases but never thought how a new glass vase again made it back into the house. All I thought of was those 500 broken glass vases but I never though that everyday a vase broke it was again replaced with a brand new glass vase. We cannot teach anyone anything, all we can do is to make someone think and that’s what the old couple did, they made me think.

“Stay, let’s sort it out” I texted back.

Comments

Popular Posts